Thursday, February 1, 2007

halfway home

I'm a day late in posting this update. That's because I wanted to delay until I had some good news to share. Last Sunday I completed 21K. It was a brutal experience. I remember thinking as I finished "and I have to do this twice?"

I took Monday off. An overbooked schedule on Tuesday and Wednesday meant no running. This is the first time since I started this program I've gone three days without exercising. And I found myself looking for excuses to avoid going out today.

Running at this time of year is really unpleasant, the cold weather and bitter wind make it hard to enjoy the time outdoors. The memory of the painful 21K run is still fresh in my mind. But I've gone public and people are watching, so I knew I had to go out.

I ended up completing a strong 12K run, feeling refreshed as I came in the door. The mental aspect of this challenge really is the most important. I'm still injury-free, I haven't been sick and I continue to increase my weekly distance. And now I'm halfway there.

until next week,

Michael

No comments: