Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Now the real work begins.

I had my meeting with my coach this morning. He heaped the praise about my progress before he dropped the bomb (re-read the title of this update). If I'm going to achieve my objective of completing the marathon in 4 1/2 hours, I need to increase my satmina and decrease my time in the first half.

My new short-term objective is run 10K in one hour. To this end, I now have a once-a-week plan for interval training. This will help me train my body to work harder by pushing myself for short periods. I will also run with the running room group once a week. This will help me improve by keeping pace with others who will probably be running a little (or a lot) faster.

I'm quite looking forward to the change in regimen. I was getting bored with simply increasing my distance. I know I've progressed a long way from my starting point on Nov. 1. I can see changes in my body. My gut is almost gone and my belt is two notches tighter.

I've also decided to quit whining and feeling sorry for myself. I found I've been focusing much too much on negative issues like my little aches and pains, and being tired sometimes. This comes with the territory. I've made it this far, I can make it even further. No more excuses!

until next week,

Michael

No comments: