Wednesday, January 24, 2007

showing some progress

This week has been one of concrete progress. I'm finding that completing the 10K race without stopping has had a HUGE psychological impact. I'm no longer afraid of pushing myself. Yes, the pain and discomfort are always there, but mentally I know I can do more. My long distance is up to 18.5 K with 20+K slated for this weekend. I'm now experimenting with different walk/run intervals at the 6K to 12K levels.

My times are improving and I weighed myself this morning to find I'm down 10 lbs from my initial starting weight. My clothes are feeling looser. Maybe all this pain is worth it :). I'm sure the weight loss is in great part to the increase in running frequency and distance, but I've also been religious about recording my food intake on a daily basis since early January. I know this has also had a significant effect on what I've been eating.

I'm finding I'm becoming more concerned about injury and sickness. There is a very fine balance between pushing myself to the limit and being stupid. So I'm trying to keep my increases gradual and listen to what my body is telling me. Mostly it's "geez, I'm sore".

I must admit that I'm extremely pleased at my accomplishments so far. As I approach the half-way mark of my marathon preparation, I can now see some tangible results in my fitness level, my weight and my general sense of well-being. The challenge will now be to keep increasing distance and not get injured or lose momentum through some other issue.

Michael

No comments: