Wednesday, January 3, 2007

2007 Marathon Diary

The Ottawa Marathon is scheduled for May 27th, 2007. I've set a goal to complete the 26 miles, 385 yards distance in 4 1/2 hours. This is my fourth attempt at running a marathon. My previous three attempts have all ended at the midway mark, for a number of different reasons.

I started my training on Nov. 1 and have been running 3-4 times a week, complementing this with a twice-weekly weight program. I have recruited a coach in Wendall Hughes (no relation). Wendall is a personal fitness trainer and friend. Check his web site at www.phytness.ca.

I am up to a weekly distance of 35 Km. The longest distance I've run so far is 16Km, or just over 10 miles. I'm still cheating by using a walk/run option. I am up to a 9 minute run with a one minute rest period in between.

I'll be reporting back weekly to update this blog and keep you posted on my progress.

Michael

1 comment:

Mathieu said...

Between your will to succeed, and Wendall's knowledge of how a runner's body works, I'm confident you will succeed this time. I'm a shorter distance runner myself, but I'll be there to cheer for you and Wendall on National Capital Race Weekend. Keep us posted!
Mathieu Paradis