Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 27, 2007: Marathon Day

I arrive at the race start area at 6 am with my wife, where we are joined by the rest of my family. The race starts at 7 am with cool, cloudy weather; a good sign. Race start is a very emotional time and my family all wish me well. I know their thoughts (and prayers?) are with me as I set out. My oldest son looks me in the eye and says "I know you can do this".

1K: my initial nervous energy lowers as we pass the Parliament buildings. I know I'm now in this for the long term.

5K: getting into the groove now. The running pack has opened up and I'm feeling pretty good about my pace.

10K: as I finish this first leg my time is good, even with the hills that seemed to pop up. I'm feeling some discomfort in my left foot. The weather is still cool and I've kept my pace up. The dynamic of running with others seems to carry me forward and reduces my focus on myself.

15K: we are now running in the busiest part of the course; lots of twists and turns. I'm starting to feel some pulling in my quadriceps. I was hoping for grassy areas to run on and ease the pain in my left foot. The road side is crowded with well-wishers, forcing me to put up with it. I've been able to maintain my pace but now feel it. I briefly think about how much distance is left and quickly re-focus on getting to the halfway mark.

20K: as per my coach's suggestion, I take my first "Shot", a gel compound that contains sugar and caffeine. I feel the effect in a few minutes, a burst of energy that gets me to the halfway mark.

21K: Halfway home. I take stock of how I'm feeling and don't like it. My left foot is now a constant irritant and my quads are burning. A short distance after this, we are joined by the half-marathon group and the road again fills with runners. Very soon after that, we cross the central point of the marathon set up where a huge crowd is urging all of us on. My family are there and I pass quickly so I don't think about quitting.

25K: I am amazed that I am still able to keep my pace up as I've now been out about three hours. I know that my tank is getting empty so I try and get one more 10-minute run before slowing to a walk. I do this a number of times, knowing that if I slow the pace, I'll be out here for hours. A light rain has started, cooling me down. Thanks, dad.

28K: my pace slows considerably. Now it's a question of shorter runs and walking until I get my breath back. I'm pleased with my time so far but know that I'll now start to slow. I'm very conscious that if I walk too long, I'll tighten up and the pain will get worse. My legs are getting very sore. As well, we are entering an area that has some hills, not big but the timing just adds to the problem.

30K: I take my final "Shot". I get a short boost, by now I'm feeling like one mass of pain, especially in my legs. My feet feel swelled up, my calves are burning and my quads ache with every step. As I head into the last hill, I think about "the runner's wall" and am pretty sure that's what is happening to me. This spurs me on as I now understand what's happening.

32K: I now realize I only have about 10K left. I think to myself "My God, I think I can finish this". My strategy now changes. I focus on the runner ahead of me. I walk a short distance to catch my breath, then start running until I pass him or her, then rest again. I repeat this, trying to ignore the constant pain in legs and feet.

35K: getting close now. I keep my focus on passing the next runner. The urge to walk longer is almost too much, but I know longer walking means extending my time and the pain. So again and again I walk, run past the runner or walker ahead, the catch my breath. The rain has continued and I'm feeling a little chilled. If I stop I know I won't finish. Another reason to keep going.

38K: now I can sense that the finish line is closer and closer. No way I'm giving up now. One thing I'm suddenly keenly aware of is my cardio is still strong. All those spinning classes are paying off. When I walk, I breathe deeply and can feel the oxygen helping me to keep going.

40K: now there's the semblance of a small crowd and I know the end is near. I renew my commitment to myself: walk for a short while, focus on the runer ahead, then run until I'm ahead.

41.5K: I see the sign that says "400 metres to finish". I can't believe I'm this close. Now I walk along and tell myself "One more run to the finish".

42K: at the 200 metre-mark I start my last run, passing my family who are cheering me on. I finish in 5:31:19. I cannot put into words the feeling of satisfaction from achieving this goal. What a rush of emotions: tears of joy, a charge of energy and a deep sense of accomplishment. It's been 24 years since I first tried to complete a marathon. My three previous attempts have all ended short. But now, I get to scratch this one of my list.

Michael

P.S.: my son advised me yesterday he wants to run this marathon with me next year.

12 comments:

Suzanne Schell said...

Wow- you have accomplishe something big

You are inspiring to me!!
Take care of your tired feet and legs.
Michael - good on ya!

GO MICHAEL GO!

Andrew Moizer said...

Michael,
hearty congratulations on an amazing achievement. I have been a "support crew" for Susan for her marathons and always have tremendous respect for everyone in the event.

cheers,
Andrew

Alex said...

Congratulations Michael! I ran the 10K on Saturday evening and know all too well the amazing energy that can be gained from the crowd gathered around. There is nothing as inspiring as hearing about a friend achieving a life long goal that they have worked for so long at! Rest well and Congratulations again!

Alex

Dave said...

I'm curious as to what else remains on "your list"?

Congratulations on this one!

Dave

John said...

Michael - Good on you, an outstanding personal accomplishment! There is no feeling quite like finishing that first marathon! Ten years and a half-dozen marathons later, that memory still brings chills.

Now, next year with your son ...
And, while you're at it, New York is an amazing event - the people, the sights and the finish in Central Park ...

Again, congratulations!

Elaine Froese said...

Congratulations Michael.
Glow in your accomplishments.
The "shot" word picture is very inspirational.
Blessings.
Elaine from Boissevain.

chris black said...

Congratulations Michael great job on achieving your milestone. I was standing at the 300 meter to go mark when you went by. I have a great respect for all runners and walkers.

Chris Black

Fit For Business said...

Congratulations Michael!

I barely completed the Ottawa marathon in 1983 but I still brag about it today. The huge sense of accomplishment will never go away.

I hope to cross paths with you someday and shake your hand.

Cheryl

Chipo said...

BRAVO MICHAEL,
I am inspired and impressed to read your current accomplishment. WAY TO GO. Great self coaching and doing what ever it takes to get to the finish line. YOU DESERVE A MASSAGE. CONGRATULATIONS. PEACE Chipo

Unknown said...

Congratulations on this monumental personal achievement Michael! I enjoyed reading your run day diary. I am a recreational runner who does 5km every second day. I have never entered a race but now you have me thinking. Good on you for sticking with it and making it happen; you have earned your bragging rights!
Clayton Shold

zoom said...

Phenomenal! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Michael,

A great accomplishement no doubt.
Having heard about this goal a few moons ago, hearing about your injuries, now hearing your success.

WOW determination to get things done at this level is quite inspiring.

Kudos, for all you accomplishements!