Saturday, May 5, 2007

22 days to go

After the euphoria of last week's decision to complete the full marathon on May 27th, I must admit that reality has now set in. My family and friends have all been extremely supportive. Everyone I've shared this decision with has expressed enthusiasm (although I can see a certain amount of incredulity in their eyes). I met with my coach Monday and he has set out a strategy to build my mileage to get close to the 26-mile distance before race day.

But let's face it, saying you'll do something and actually doing it are two completely different things. The anxiety about the size and scope of the challenge is now fully upon me. I need to double my mileage in the next ten days if I'm to get close to the finish line. This is as much a psychological issue as a physical one. My current mindset, to keep myself from being overwhelmed (read crazy-scared), is to take this challenge on one day at a time.

I must tell you that I'm not off to a stellar start. I scheduled a long run of 24+K on Wednesday to get me into the mid-marathon distance range. I had to end it prematurely as my left foot was very sore at the 15K mark. I pushed to finish 20.5K but it wasn't pretty or pleasant. My massage therapist advises it's probably the metatarsil bone and has suggested I put a pad in my shoe. I hope it helps.

I finished the week off today with a 16.5K run that went very well, although the foot issue re-surfaced in the last few minutes. Also, I tried changing my orthotics, hoping the new ones would supply more foot support and I now have a blister the size of a silver dollar on the arch of my left foot. Go figure. But I am buoyed by my good run today. I could have gone further and felt strong throughout.
P.S.: I think I've also come up with a secret strategy to help me get to the finish line. I plan to test and refine it next week, so stay tuned to see if it actually works.

until next week,

Michael

No comments: