Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Managing the last few days

Well, it's down to the short strokes now. A few developments since my past post: I did complete a 30K run an May 11th but felt completely burnt out since doing this; a scheduled 35K run last Saturday really worried me based on my mental & physical state; my coach advised shortening this to 20-25K and assessing my situation then.

I measured a 22.5K distance and completed it on Saturday morning. I was able to cover the distance at the pace I expect to run next week (using my Revised Secret Strategy). My time was on target. All in all, I must say that I am pleased with how this went. In the spirit of full disclosure, I still have a problem with the metarcil bone in my left foot and my right quadricep got quite sore (I'm sure the two are related) and I don't know how much further I could have gone. But this exercise has somewhat eased my anxiety about the completing full marathon distance. If I can get past the 30K mark in a reasonable time, I can finish.

In a short conversation with my coach after my Saturday outing, he recommended I go into "full recovery" mode for this week, with walking and a couple of short runs rather than trying any longer distances. So now it's a question of mental preparation and keeping my fear at bay as the May 27th date draws closer.

until Saturday evening,

Michael

No comments: