Saturday, May 26, 2007

16 hours to race start.

All in all, this last week has been a good one. I spent last weekend at the cottage recovering from my 22.5K run on Saturday monring. I went for a walk on Sunday and Tuesday, but the rest of the week got so busy I wasn't able to think about running, let alone get out at all. So it's been complete recovery in preparation for tomorrow's challenge.

This flurry of activity allowed me to get away from any anxieties about THE RACE, until yesterday. I drove the course in the afternoon and again early this morning, this time with my coach as navigator. His comments and suggestions were very helpful in preparing myself mentally. I picked up my race kit late yesterday. My bib number is 3041. I've reviewed the location of water stations and distance markers. I have my Secret Strategy set. My running gear is set out and ready to go. My support team of family members will all be there to see me off at 7 am and all are planning to be there when I finish. Talk about pressure :).

I must admit that it's been a constant battle today to keep a positive perspective. After driving the course, I now see what's really involved. And it's not going to be a picnic. This is an incredible challenge. I find myself going from total commitment to abject fear. I keep pulling myself back to the fact that I've invested more than six months preparing for this. I know if I can make it past 30K in a reasonable time, I can finish. I have the plan, I have the physical capacity, I have the will and I have a positive environment that will supply strength and support.

In a couple of hours, most of my family will join me for a pre-marathon pasta dinner. It's something I'm really looking forward to. Their support has been overwhelming. Then, a quiet and relaxing evening and early to bed. Tomorrow: 5 a.m. wake up, then to event by 6 a.m and start at 7.

Until tomorrow evening,

Michael

No comments: