Thursday, March 1, 2007

discouraged but still determined

Not much to report this week, other than I've managed to re-injure the same calf. I thought I had things well under control at the end of last week, so I did about 30 minutes on the treadmill before feeling a slight discomfort on my right calf.

Wanting to test my status, I made the decision to run outdoors on Sunday. Turns out this was a big mistake and within twenty minutes of heading out, my right calf was again sore and I limped back home, in worse condition than before. Needless to say I was devastated and discouraged, but I've come to terms with this issue.

The good news is that my coach still advises I'm ahead of the game in my marathon training and can afford to coast for a while more. He has made me feel ok about this challenge. The hardest part is disciplining myself to keep a daily exercise regimen while injured.

I have committed myself to keeping my conditioning and cardio levels high with non-running activities like the riding the exercise bike, weights and swimming for the next week. I've immersed myself in physio treatments and want to make sure I ease my way back into running.

until next week,

Michael

No comments: