Wednesday, April 4, 2007

turning the corner

Finally some good news to report. Last Friday, I got the green light from my physiotherapist to resume a light, easy running program. My first attempt was Monday. I worked a series of 4 min walk + 1 min jog between my weight program. I had no issues with my calf and was heartened by this. This morning I repeated this program and extended my running portion, again with no difficulty or pain.

I visited my massage therapist early this afternoon, a different person who had more experience with my type of injury. She expressed surprise that my muscles were not as stiff as she expected, based on the notes she had read prior to our session. More good news. In fact, she mentioned she felt I was well on the road to recovery based on her assessment and my treatment today.

My plan is now to run every second day. Well, let's admit it will be a walk/run for now and I'll increase my distance and my running perecentage by 10% a week. I plan to keep up with the other exercise areas I've been exploring as I increase my running and shift to running more as I get stronger. But I'm not thinking past the next two weeks. I'd like to get back to a regular running program now that the nice weather is here. The rest will take care of itself.

until next week,

Michael

No comments: