Wednesday, April 11, 2007

re-building my base.

This has been a good news week. I have been resumed running in a limited format and things seem to be coming along nicely. I am working in a run every second day, slowly re-building my distance and making sure my calf can handle the increased workload before moving any further.

I've been out four times in the last seven days. So far I have completed 4.5K (3 miles) outdoors and 60 minutes on the treadmill. In both these instances, I've have been alternating walking and jogging. I plan on increasing my distance by about 10% every second day, emphasizing the treadmill runs as the initial increase area . My goal is to get to 10K outdoors by Apr. 20.

I can't believe how paranoid I am about this. I can feel myself continuously evaluating my right leg and over-compensating as I run. I think the biggest issue will be to restore my confidence in my capacity to get back to full power and speed, and run longer distances. I am, however, buoyed by the fact that I'm still in great shape as I've been maintaining my cardio. The plan is to continue to do this on my non-running days for now.

until next week,

Michael

1 comment:

Candu said...

Your approach should be a model for us all. We can all expect to suffer setbacks on the road and it is how we deal with them that is a measure of ourselves. Good luck in the half and for the full whenever it might be.

--Oliver